Biowarfare / Biodefense
There is growing interest in rapid, point of need tests for potential biowarfare agents, which may include infectious agents such as anthrax, or toxins such as Staph Enterotoxin B or ricin. The potential variety of delivery systems and vectors (food, water supplies, air, surfaces in public areas) and the need for rapid, accurate evaluation of threats and of potentially infected individuals in times of extreme stress and possible mass exposure make this an area with very unique needs. Lateral flow assays, coupled with reader systems represent one of the best platforms for this type of testing due to their speed, ease of use, flexibility in terms of matrices that the assays can handle, ease of interpretation, speed of development and ease of large scale manufacture in time of need.
This market is driven largely by government demands and as a result accurate figures are difficult to source. There is no doubt that it is a growing segment, and one where this technology can be readily and appropriately applied.
DCN’s range of assay readers, coupled with our ability to develop and manufacture very high sensitivity fluorescent, magnetic or visual assays provide a way to quickly produce a range of assays that can address specific needs within this market. Our ability to develop and design devices, plastics, sample handling and preparation systems, and integrate everything into a complete assay system make DCN the ideal partner for your assays in the Biowarfare / Biodefense area.
For a detailed discussion of market opportunities and appropriate technologies for lateral flow and flow through market segments, see DCN’s Technology and Market Report on the point of need diagnostics market, entitled Pushing Lateral Flow to the Limits. Contact us for information on how to order this report.
Advantages of lateral flow and flow through assays in this market segment
- Ability to handle multiple sample types, including whole blood, serum, plasma, urine, fecal samples, sweat, tears, spinal fluid
- Ability to deploy assay systems in a variety of configurations and integrate reader technologies for additional sensitivity and removal of human interpretation issues.
- High sensitivity
- Quantification ability
- Ease of use
- Low cost
- Robustness in the field – e.g. no refrigeration
DCN has developed several assay systems in this market area. Examples include:
- Bacillus anthracis (anthrax)
- Staph enterotoxin B (SEB)
Developing or manufacturing assays for Biowarfare / Biodefense or Biowarfare applications?
DCN offers a variety of products and services specifically designed to meet your needs, including:
- Education and Training Course in Point of Care assay development
- Contract Assay Development
- Contract Manufacturing
- Custom Conjugation
- Consulting: Market evaluation, technology evaluation, regulatory affairs, manufacturing process development
- Cassette or device design
Platforms for development:
Reader Systems for lateral flow and flow through tests:
- Quantitative Handheld Reader
- Quantitative Benchtop Reader
- Qualitative Handheld Reader (The Visualizer)
- Quantitative Handheld Limited Use Reader
High Sensitivity Labels for Development
- Fluorescent particles
- Paramagnetic particles
- Colloidal gold
Sample Collection and Handling Devices
- Urine collection devices (Link to Whiz)
- Sample Homogenizers