Forensic science and pathology are growing users of rapid assays. Identification of bodily fluids, genetic testing of materials found at crime scenes, and screening of bodily fluids, foodstuffs and environment for potentially causative agents are all applications for which lateral flow and flow through tests are ideal.
DCN’s range of assay readers, coupled with our ability to develop and manufacture very high sensitivity fluorescent, magnetic or visual assays provide a way to quickly produce a range of assays that can address specific needs within this market. Our ability to develop and design devices, plastics, sample handling and preparation systems, and integrate everything into a complete assay system that can be rapidly applied at the point of need or in the forensic testing laboratory make DCN the ideal partner for your assays in the this area of application.
For a detailed discussion of market opportunities and appropriate technologies for lateral flow and flow through market segments, see DCN’s Technology and Market Report on the point of need diagnostics market, entitled Pushing Lateral Flow to the Limits. Contact us for information on how to order this report.
Advantages of lateral flow and flow through assays in this market segment
- Ability to handle multiple sample types, including whole blood, serum, plasma, urine, fecal samples, sweat, tears, spinal fluid, semen, environmental swabs or samples
- Ability to deploy assay systems in a variety of configurations and integrate reader technologies for additional sensitivity and removal of human interpretation issues.
- High sensitivity
- Quantification ability
- Ease of use
- Low cost
- Robustness in the field – e.g. no refrigeration
DCN has developed several assay systems in this market area. Examples include:
- Assays for identification of bodily fluids
- Staph enterotoxin B
- Nucleic acid tests for identification of specific organisms
Developing or manufacturing assays for Forensic or Pathology applications?
DCN offers a variety of products and services specifically designed to meet your needs, including:
- Education and Training Course in Point of Care assay development
- Contract Assay Development
- Contract Manufacturing
- Custom Conjugation
- Consulting: Market evaluation, technology evaluation, regulatory affairs, manufacturing process development
Reader Systems for lateral flow and flow through tests:
- Quantitative Handheld Reader
- Quantitative Benchtop Reader
- Qualitative Handheld Reader (The Visualizer)
- Quantitative Handheld Limited Use Reader
High Sensitivity Labels for Development
- Fluorescent particles
- Paramagnetic particles
- Colloidal gold
Sample Collection and Handling Devices
- Urine collection devices (Link to Whiz)
- Sample Homogenizers
Platforms for development: